Tuesday, February 19, 2008

relational salvation

Philippians 2:12-13 says, Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

i especially liked this quote by one commentator,
Salvation is not something we possess.
It is rather a relationship in which we stand.
Manfred T. Brauch, Hard Sayings of Paul, IVP 1989, pp218-22

1 comment:

byron smith said...

Salvation is not something we possess.
This is an important point that I've only really been 'getting' recently. Salvation is a realtionship into which we are summoned, a baptism that overwhelms us, a meal to which we come with empty hands, offering only our thanks - it is not something we can speak of as 'my' salvation and use as a standard against which to judge the 'salvation status' of others.