Monday, August 10, 2020

Books of the Old Testament by Title

 As a follow up to the popular Books of the New Testament by Title, here is my attempt at summarising the Old Testament in a similar way. 

This one is probably a little more controversial for what I have not said: I have not said Daniel is the author of Daniel - if that troubles you, here is a brief summary of why I think that. 

I'm not sure whether Jonah wrote Jonah - that seems unlikely to me. So too the others, especially when they die in them (ehem, Samuel). It could be that Ezra wrote Ezra-Nehemiah - I haven't looked into that at all; I'll probably have to do a humble-pie update later on. 

I think the others are okay. Leviticus refers to the rules given to the Levites - perhaps that should be an event also; if they were a group then the book should be called Levites, which it isn't. In Hebrew it's just called "wayyiqra" - and he called. Maybe I should do another one on Hebrew titles. 

Oh, and Ecclesiastes is the Greek translation of what they assume Qohelet means. I think Qohelet refers to the assembler of wisdom rather than an assembler of people, but you'll have to buy my book to find out the reasoning for why I think that. 

No comments: