Monday, July 22, 2019

Brief review of Schreiner's "Spiritual Gifts"


Spiritual Gifts

A few months ago there was an interesting discussion between Thomas Schreiner (cessationist) and Andrew Wilson (continuationist), which led to a debate and dominated a recent edition of Themelios. I ordered their books on spiritual gifts and wasn't sure which to read first, but Schreiner's arrived first, and I read most of it on a plane last week and finished it this morning (172pp with large font and lots of white space).

Here is my very brief review. I will probably have more to say once I've read Wilson's book.

Spiritual Gifts: What They Are and Why They Matter
by Thomas R. Schreiner


Good little primer on a case for cessationism. There were a few leaps of logic and I really wanted more detail at several key points, but overall it was not a bad book.

I disagreed with Schreiner's discussion on Acts 8, as I read the receipt of the Holy Spirit after their belief as the remarkable outward manifestation of the Spirit, not as indicating a lack of receipt in the first instance.

Similarly I was unsure why the discussion on the fallibility of prophecy was required and so long, but there must be a debate I'm unfamiliar with that he was entering into.

The irenic tone of the book was much appreciated and I look forward to reading Andrew Wilson's book next as a companion to this.

No comments: