Monday, October 18, 2021

Review: Achievement Addiction

 Justine Toh, Achievement Addiction (CPX/Acorn, 2021)


Since I first met Justine 15 years ago, I was impressed with her knowledge of pop-culture, be it written or screen. And it's nice to see nothing has changed. She brings her wide and deep reading to bear in this newest addition to CPX's Re:Considering series, in this easily digestible volume considering all things achievement related.

Chapter 1, Strive, was really a look inwards, at the Asian in all of us. This is something I've grown to understand, coming from possibly the whitest school in Australia (there were two non-white kids in my grade), to now living in Sydney, pastoring a Chinese church, and having to learn some Cantonese to speak to my in-laws. But what Toh demonstrates is the views stereotypical of Asians are values shared by many of in many ways. It's the constant push to succeed, to be driven and to drive your children. We are addicted to achievement because we valued, and value, by our status in society.

Chapter 2, Suffer, is about what we will put ourselves through in order to achieve, and to be seen to achieve. Toh talks about Fitbits, but it could as easily be my unbroken record of 400+ days of Duolingo until I went cold-turkey. Because suffering to achieve can become dislocated from what we are actually suffering for. So with a retelling of the plot of A Lonely Girl is a Dangerous Thing (or one might think of Herman Hesse's devastating Unterm Rad), the point is driven home, that to suffer to achieve can become a striving which can never reach its goal.

Chapter 3, Smug, pricked me the most. Growing up little, bookish and bullied, I sometimes wonder whether those who saw me as an easy target would think twice if they knew how far I've come academically. But of course they wouldn't; it's my smugness to think that I've achieved and they haven't and therefore I'm better than them. If life is divided into the haves and the have-nots, I can rest easy in my smugness. But of course, as Toh suggests, there is nothing virtuous about achieving: smugness makes one unwise, unkind, blind and prejudiced.

Chapter 4, Story Time, suggests a different way. Beginning with Eliza Hamilton's gracious forgiveness of the smug, unwise and unkind Alexander, we see in the one who said that "the first will be last and the last will be first," a different way of living and being and achieving. Rather than the equation "hard work + perseverance = rightly earned success", a life lived by grace, receiving as a gift, transforms how we are in the world. It enables true community (as suggested in O'Donovan's Common Objects of Love), so that achievement is not simplistically diminished, but "put in the service of others." (58)

Achievement Addiction is a charming and provocative read. Even if I missed the Harry Potter references, and had not heard "bougy" before, I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated this book. I also have a few more books to read—just need to add them to my list and instagram a photo of how tall my to-be-read pile is growing...

No comments: